Flights to Maldives
Packed with a range of attractions, Maldives has many admirers around the world. Fabulous beaches, crystal clear waters, an abundance of marine life, luxury resorts, a host of water sports etc. make the place ideal for tourists. Maldives is also a favourite amongst newlyweds who just love the vibrancy and bonhomie of the place. The beautiful island nation has something to offer to everyone and every age group and is the main reason why it is on the priority list of travel enthusiasts around the world. No wonder there are a host of flights to Maldives that can take you to this fabulous nation. All that you need to do is to book your seat on one of the cheap flights to Maldives and fly to your favourite holiday destination.
In all, there are 18 airports in Maldives. 5 of which are international airports. Needless to say, these airports are a boon for visitors as the islands in Maldives are spread far apart and the airports play a prominent role in connecting the remote islands which makes flights to Maldives easy and fun.
Some of the prominent airports are listed below.
Hanimaadhoo International Airport
Governed by Maldives Airport Company Limited, the Hanimaadhoo International Airport was once a domestic airport. It was, however, transformed into an international airport in 2012. There is a single runway at the airport that caters to both international and domestic flights.
Maafaru International Airport
Started functioning in 2019, The Maafaru International Airport in Maldives caters mostly to the Noonu Atoll region. The runway here is spacious and therefore can accommodate the biggest of the airplanes.
Gan International Airport
Set on Gan Island, the Gan International Airport was at one point in time under the control of the Royal Navy. Today, however, it is operated by Addu International Pvt. Ltd. Gan International Airport was also used by the military during World War II.
The Kaadedhdhoo Airport became operational in 1993 and is today managed by Maldives Airport Corporation. A domestic airport, Kaadedhdhoo Airport caters only to domestic flights and the passengers need to hire speed boats to move out of the airport.
The Thimarafushi Airport caters to the Thaa Atoll region in the Maldives. It became operational in 2013 and was inaugurated by Mohamed Waheed Hassan, the then President of Maldives.
Maldives International Airport Facilities
Quite a few amenities are provided at the Maldives airports which makes it very helpful for those visiting the country. Some of these include:
Health Care Centre
A 24-hour health care centre, coupled with a chemist, First Aid and minor health emergencies are available at the terminal building and are adept at taking care of minor mishaps.
Infant and Mother Care
Airports also offer facilities for pregnant women and newborn babies. The information counter is also manned by a public relations officer who is there precisely to help such cases.
Free Shower Room
Travellers can also use shower room facilities to freshen up.
1st floor of the departure terminal has a prayer room as well.
Post & Telegraph
The airport has a post office which functions from 6:00 AM to 1:00 AM or till the last departure.
International and local calls
Cash and credit card phones are available at the terminal building and can be used by travellers to make calls.
E-mail and Internet facilities
Both e-mail and Internet facilities are available near the terminal building and can be used by travellers.
Quite a few airlines fly to Maldives. Some of the important ones include
- Turkish Airlines
- American Airlines
- British Airways
Different Ways to Make the Bookings for Maldives
There are different ways to make flight bookings. Read below.
- You can purchase an airline ticket by connecting with your preferred airline.
- You can also buy the tickets from the airline’s website. Just fill in the relevant information and you are good to go.
- You can also buy tickets to Maldives through an airline travel agency.
- You can also make your purchase from the airport.
A few tips can help you in booking your flight. These include:
- The best way to lay your hands on optimum rebate while making a flight booking to Maldives is by booking your ticket two months earlier and avoiding last minute flights to Maldives.
- You should also refrain from making the bookings on the weekend. These are almost always more expensive than weekday bookings.
- A newsletter subscription to the airlines would also be a good idea. These offer quick notifications about the latest offers and can help you in nailing cool discounts.
- Choosing a low-cost carrier would also be a good idea as it would be far less expensive than fancy airlines.
Before planning to visit Maldives it is important to find out the best time to visit the place. It would therefore be worth noting that the best time to visit Maldives is between December and April which also happens to be the peak tourist season in the country.
Traveller’s Guide for the Maldives
Some vital points that everyone visiting Maldives must know include:
- The best time to visit Maldives is between December and April as the weather is at its best in these times.
- The best time to visit Maldives from the price point of view is between May and November.
- Maldives is heaven for all those who love seas and beaches.
- Maldives offers delectable cuisines visitors cannot resist.